Our one-day program provides a foundation for managers who are leading teams through a Microservices implementation.
Who should attend?
The program is designed for experienced technical managers who are leading teams of engineers and developers on a Cloud Native journey including the implementation of microservices. It does not require any foundation knowledge of microservices, however a background in software engineering or architecture is an advantage.
What can I expect from the course?
By the end of the course, managers will be able to assess and communicate the advantages and disadvantages of a Microservices architecture and make informed judgements for their organisation, teams and projects.
Before you start
Some of the biggest challenges that face anyone introducing change to an organisation happens well before engineers start typing at keyboards. We understand that and the workshop also addresses those issues. Adopting Microservices is not just a technical project. It is a cultural one too.
We therefore cover:
- How to communicate the project vision.
- How to engage and inspire your team.
- How to build skills in your team.
- How to approach troubleshooting and problem-solving in a Microservices environment.
To get the most out of this program, you should have basic knowledge of:
- Cloud Computing
- Agile methodologies
What will be covered?
- Becoming Cloud Native
- Creating a DevOps Culture
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery
- Containerisation / Orchestration
- Core Concepts in microservices
- What are microservices, what advantages do they offer, how do they work?
- Benefits and drawbacks
- Microservices architecture
- Testing, deploying and scaling
- Service discovery and configuration management
- The microservices journey
- Best practices
- Stories from the field
- Technical Leadership
- Communicating the vision
- Engaging and inspiring your team
- Building skills in your team
- Troubleshooting and problem solving
By the end of the workshop, managers and engineering leads will be able to:
- Talk about cloud native migration and microservices with reference to the core concepts and technologies
- Visualise the journey to implementing microservices and your part in it
- Evaluate the approach (are microservices right for me?)
- Understand the processes / (anti-) patterns / tools / challenges / pitfalls of implementing microservices
- Feel confident of your role in the transition to the new world
- Build an affinity with engineers and help them address their challenges