In this 2-day hands-on workshop we will cover the fundamental concepts and features of Kubernetes, ensuring you have the basics you need to reason about and architect Cloud Native applications on Kubernetes. Next, over the course of multiple exercises, we walk you through taking a demo application from a naive first deployment to improving it step by step, implementing best practices.
Who should attend?
This workshop is for Software Developers, DevOps engineers and application architects who want to get a working knowledge of Kubernetes and how its features can be used to make application development more agile, improve availability and sustainability.This course focuses on the architectural and operational side of running applications on Kubernetes.
What can I expect from the workshop?
After this workshop you will have an overview of the key Kubernetes concepts, have practiced deploying, updating and exposing an application running on a cluster and be able to understand the reasons behind and how to implement best practices on Kubernetes.
Upon completion participants will:
- Build a mental model of Kubernetes, its architecture and components
- Know how Kubernetes manages a desired state
- Understand the Kubernetes’ configuration file format
- Understand ways to manage sensitive information in Kubernetes
- Know how Helm can be used for package management and templating
- Ways to troubleshoot problems encountered when running on Kubernetes
Upon completion participants will be able to:
- Deploy a simple application to a Kubernetes cluster
- Group resources in a cluster using Labels and Selectors
- Expose an application to the outside world using Services
- Monitor the health of a Kubernetes cluster
- Manage Kubernetes manifest files and Helm charts
- Use ConfigMaps and Secrets to managing sensitive information
- Configure Health Checks Troubleshoot a Kubernetes deployment
- A foundational knowledge of Docker and Containers
- No prior Kubernetes knowledge
- Docker Containers
- Kubernetes Fundamentals
- Infrastructure Concepts & components
- Nodes, Pods & Containers
- Labels & Selectors
- Services & Ingress
- Kubernetes Manifests
- ConfigMaps & Secrets
- Readiness & Liveness Probes
- Kubernetes Troubleshooting
Format and Duration
- Format: Classroom based, hands-on facilitated workshop
- Duration: 2 days