In this 1 day workshop you will learn how to get started with Istio. We’ll start by explaining why the features of Kubernetes are not enough, and how Istio makes the lives of developers of microservices easier. Then, we’ll dive into installing Istio, and explore several use cases where Istio can help. We conclude the workshop with looking how Istio can help you get observability of your system.
Who should attend?
Software Developers, DevOps engineers and application architects who have heard about Istio and want to learn why and how to use it.
What can I expect from the workshop?
After this workshop you will have an overview how Istio can support you in more effectively building and managing microservices.
- Understand the concept of a Service Mesh
- Understand Istio’s key concepts and core components
- Be able to install and configure Istio with Kubernetes
- Apply the basic Traffic shaping
- Know how to perform Canary Deployments
- Understand how Istio can increase the reliability of your applications
- Get observability on your services
- Securing microservices with Istio
- Service Mesh
- Kubernetes & Istio
- Traffic shaping
- Timeouts, Circuit Breaking & fault Injection
- Automated metrics
- Worked with containerised applications on Kubernetes
- Worked with Google Cloud Platform (or similar)
- Basic Cloud Native concepts
- Basic software development
- Basic Linux administration
- WiFi-enabled laptop
- Access to a Terminal and SSH client
Format and Duration
- Format: Classroom based, hands-on facilitated workshop
- Duration: 1 day
- Optimal capacity: 10-12 participants